Wednesday, November 11, 2009

So, When did French Kissing Start?

Yesterday at work I was talking to my students about life in the late 1700s. One of the things we discussed was propriety between men and women at that time. I mentioned the standards of dress women adhered to and the fact that they would never be alone with a member of the opposite sex without a chaperone. This opened the door for a lot of questions. It just so happened that yesterday I was focusing on the learning profile trait, inquirers, which encourages students to develop their natural curiosity and conduct inquiry and research. Because of this, I would usually have loved to hear their questions and talk to them about the answers. This was not the case. Our conversation went something like this:

Students: "What? They couldn't be alone? What about making out?"

Me: "That would have been considered inappropriate. In fact, it would have been fairly scandalous."

Students: "So, not even kissing?"

Me: "No. Many people wouldn't have kissed until their wedding day."

Student: "So, when did french kissing start? Did it start in France?"

At this point I was dying. The students were so sincere in their questions and I was trying to be good with my answers, but I lost it and burst out laughing. Luckily, the bell was about to ring and I put an end to the inquiry by having them clean up.

3 comments:

Sansego said...

That's pretty funny, Mandy! It reminds me of a scene in the novel "The Abstinence Teacher" in which the sex ed teacher gets in trouble for answering a sincere question posed by a student. You should read this novel if you haven't already. I'm about 100 pages from the end and I'm hooked.

Stephensen Celebrations said...

I love it!

Petergaye S. Kisielewicz of Yahgie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.