Saturday, February 24, 2007
Yesterday Alina rushed into our house and loudly stated, "You are never going to believe this. There are two people making out in a car across the street." I replied, "What?" but my roommate, Lesli, rushed to the front door to see for herself. Once there, she exclaimed, "Ah!! They're totally making out. The guy has his shirt off!" The three of us then raced upstairs to get an elevated view from our windows. Seriously, what were these two individuals thinking? We live in a family-filled community and where did they decide to park? In the small visitor parking section right in front of the grassy area where children can play. It was Friday afternoon, the sun was still brightly shinning, and they didn't even have tinted windows!! Our visiting teacher, Mary, was on her way over so I called her on her cell phone to warn her of what she was sure to see - I also wanted to tell her to honk very loudly when she passed them. When she answered she was passing them and distracted (by answering her phone) so we made her circle the block and honk her horn. Our friend, Jenna, was also coming over and circled twice because she didn't know where to park. She just didn't feel right about parking right next to the romantic couple. Within a few minutes, Lesli, Alina, Jenna, Mary, and I were standing on my porch, pointing and laughing at the car. They finally left. I guess they'll need to find another refuge for horny teenagers.
Friday, February 23, 2007
Thursday, February 22, 2007
- Ice Cream
- (Yeah, basically all sugary things)
Tuesday, February 20, 2007
Friday, February 16, 2007
- Yesterday I booked a vacation to visit two of my most favorite people in the world (Ruth & Ryan Stewart). I will be staying with them from July 24 - Aug 7 (two whole weeks!!) We plan on going to NYC and the Hershey Factory in Pennsylvania.
- My flight to visit them only cost me $10. That's right, $10. (Plus 25,000 frequent flyer miles).
- I had my taxes done on Monday and I'm getting back a whopping $3500!! Yes!!
- I took the day off on Monday so I only had to work 4 days this week.
- I only have to work 4 days next week because of President's Day.
- Alina sent me a hilarious YouTube email. To see it, click HERE. (It is a little naughty).
Thursday, February 15, 2007
Wednesday, February 14, 2007
I have two computers in my classroom. My computer and a student computer. My students use their computer to go on-line and check their grades. I let them do this during the last 2-3 minutes of class after they have cleaned up. Last week several of my students were at the computer looking at grades when I heard the following conversation:
Student A: "She F'd me. I can't believe she F'd me."
Student B: "Who did?"
Student A: "Ms. Winterton."
It took me a minute to process what I was hearing and realize that they were talking about their grades. Now, just so you know, for most of my students English is not their first language. I turned to them and said, "Are you talking about your grades?" When they replied, "Yes." I told them they probably should word their phrase, "She gave me and F" because the other way didn't sound too nice. When they realized what they had said, they turned bright red. It was quite funny.
Sunday, February 11, 2007
Kyle, Me, Alicia, Summer, Val, and Kevin.
Kim and TJ were also there, but they're taking the picture.
Friday: It was a long day, so I didn't want to do to much, but my parents took Alina, Lesli, and I out to dinner. Here we are:
Saturday: Lesli and I went to the ballet to see Sleeping Beauty. Here's a picture of us at Capital Theatre.
Sunday: I went to my family's house for cake and ice cream. Here are pictures of me and Zack.
Friday, February 09, 2007
Wednesday, February 07, 2007
My birth is just one of the extraordinary events that have occurred on February 9th. There have been several others throughout history. Here are just a few:
1825: The House of Representatives determines the presidential election. John Quincy Adams becomes the 6th president.
1863: The fire extinguisher is patented by Alanson Crane.
1867: Nebraska becomes the 37th state in the Union.
1895: Volleyball invented by W.G. Morgan in Massachusetts.
1909: The first federal legislation banning narcotics (opium) is passed.
1942: War time daylight savings time is first instituted.
1950: Senator Joseph McCarthy accuses 205 State Department officials of being communists.
1964: The Beatles make their first appearance on The Ed Sullivan Show.
1964: GI Joe character created.
1965: The U.S. sends the first combat troops to South Vietnam.
1997: The Simpsons runs 167th episode becoming the longest running animated series in cartoon history.
2002: Winter Olympics open in Salt Lake City.
Tuesday, February 06, 2007
- Digital Camera (I was hoping I'd get this for Christmas, but Santa fell through).
- I-Home Alarm Clock (I think Ronnie and my mom are getting me this).
- 20x24 Wood Framed Print of In His Light by Greg Olsen. To see click HERE. (It will nicely cover the crack in my wall).
- Lip Gloss - I'm running low on Bath & Body Works CO Bigelow's Ultra Mentha Lip Shine (Peppermint).
- Dangley Earrings (but not too long and dangley)
- Electric Pencil Sharpener (for school)
- Another Electric Pencil Sharpener (for home)
- Cold Stone Gift Certificate
- Beige Knee-high Tights (to wear with long skirts)
- Hair Accessories - elastics, barretts, etc.
- Good Books - I prefer biographies, histories, and historical fiction
- Pedicure Gift Certificate
- Picture frames that hold 4x6 inch pictures
- Electric Lawn Mower
- Huffy Surfside Cruiser - click HERE for a picture.
- North and South DVD
- Chain for my locket (Jeanine, this one's for you).
- Candles and Candlestick holders
- Massage Gift Certificates
- The Devil Wears Prada DVD
- Fun Games like Sequence
- And Skip-Bo
- Teachings and Commentaries on the New Testament by Ed J. Pinegar & Richard J. Allen
- Kitchen Wash Cloths
- Decorative, yet comfortable pillows for my leather couch
- Food Storage - I'm trying to build up my supply
- Fossil Watch - Silver with Brown Leather Band
- Laptop Case/Bag
- Grey Hoody Sweatshirt with Zipper
Monday, February 05, 2007
Sunday, February 04, 2007
Friday, February 02, 2007
Okay, enough complaining. Now that I've got up on my blog, I need to use the internet to catch up on three days worth of work.