Thursday, March 29, 2007

I Kid You Not

Yesterday I went to Seagull Book and Tape to buy a new journal. I wanted a nice, religious journal to write thoughts and ideas I had during scripture study, temple attendance, etc. I found a beautiful red journal with beige, leather binding. On the cover it read, "My Work and My Glory." I flipped through the journal and noticed that it had scriptures and quotes scattered throughout the journal. I didn't take a real close look, but it looked perfect so I bought it. When I got home I took a closer look. The more I looked, the more I loved it. It contained some of my favorite scriptures from the Bible and the Book of Mormon. It also contained great quotes. Not all of the quotes were from LDS people, but they were inspiring quotes by notable, historical people. Some of these people included Thomas Paine, C.S. Lewis, Ann Frank, and Gandhi.

This is where the "I Kid You Not" part comes in. Now, I'll be the first to admit, I'm not a Harry Potter Fan, nor do I know much about the series. However, as I was reading these inspiring scriptures and quotes, I read a quote and noticed that it was attributed to Albus Dumbledore. I thought, "What?" Isn't that a fictional character from Harry Potter. I asked Lesli, a fanatical Harry Potter fan, and she confirmed it. I couldn't believe it. This journal was filled with the Word of God, words from important historical figures, and a fictional wizard. Ridiculous. Ridiculously funny, that is.

7 comments:

Sansego said...

One thing I appreciated about the LDS Church is that they aren't like evangelicals in being so sanctimonious about certain films...such as "Star Wars", "Lord of the Rings", or "Harry Potter." One can enjoy those without it being a crisis of faith. Maybe that's an insecurity on the part of evangelical Christians?

Lesli Joe said...

I can feel by the tone, or is it that you have told me before, that you use the word "fanatical" as if it were a bad thing.

Anonymous said...

Albus Dumbledore IS very insightful!!
From, Alina (I'm not trying to be anonymous I just don't want another email account)

Camie said...

I want to know what the inspirational quote from Dumbledore is before I make a judgement.

Anonymous said...

I believe the quote was.... "to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure." All I have to say is that I am just as fanatical about Harry Potter as both Lesli and Alina (if not more). I believe that come next July, Harry will move on to his next great adventure. Next to Yoda, Dumbledore is one of the most inspiring fictional characters alive (...in the mind, that is). Just think... in a few years, General Authorities may be quoting the great wizard. That would be quite intersting to see how the membership of the church reacts to that one. I would love it!! --Christi

Travis Butterfield said...

My opinion is that it doesn't really matter where the quote comes from, as long as it has merit. I have actually written down quotes from Dumbledore, because I thought they were very wise, and pertinent to my life. So, I can totally see why that would be in there. But, yes, you do have a point - that it is a little strange to have him in there with scriptural quotes. But, then again, how is quoting J.K. Rowling any different from quoting C.S. Lewis? I mean, they're both limeys, right? Ha ha.

Mandalynn said...

But they didn't quote J.K. Rowling. They attributed the quote to a fictional character!!