Tuesday, April 24, 2007

GPS & Geocaching

Last year I took a class from the UEN (Utah Education Network) about using GPS units in my classroom. We also learned about geocaching. To learn more about geocaching, click HERE. Another geography teacher, Sheradee, and I decided to hide a geocache and place three travel bugs in it. Travel bugs are like dog tags with I.D. numbers. We attached these travel bugs to small toys. These toys and travel bugs then travel around the world. These items travel via other geocachers who pick them up and redeposit them in different caches around the globe. Our travel bugs have traveled to Hawaii, Washington D.C., Germany, Italy, and Australia. Fellow geocachers have taken pictures of our toys/travel bugs and posted our pictures on the geocache website. To see this website and where each class has been, click on MMS 5th Period, MMS 6th Period, and MMS 7th Period. Here are a few pictures of our items:


One of our travel bugs ready to travel.


In Germany

In Germany


In Rome, Italy


Back in the U.S. in Washington, D.C.

3 comments:

Camie said...

Cool!

Lesli Joe said...

This is really cool! I wish I taught Geography so that I could do this with my students.

Mandalynn said...

You could still do it with your students. It doesn't matter what subject you teach. Our goals were to visit D.C., Hawaii, Ireland, Australia, and Italy. An English goal could be to visit the birthplace of William Shakespeare or the city of Verona, Italy. Just list your goal on the website and on your travel bug.