Monday, April 20, 2009

Europe - To go, or not to go?

Europe - So I was planning on going on a big European vacation next summer, but now I'm thinking I should go this year. My reasoning . . . airfare. Airfare prices to Europe have plummeted recently. The vacation I've been planning (for 2010) is to fly into Rome then take a cruise to Greece, Turkey, and Egypt. I check out the cruise package and airfare quite often. The cruise package tends to stay around $1000 and until recently the airfare had been $1800. Well, not anymore, the airfare is now $900!! It makes me think I should go this summer. What do you think?

The problem . . . If I go, I won't meet my financial goal. My current goal is to pay off everything by September so the only bill I have is my mortgage. If I go, that's not going to happen. In fact, I'll be in even more debt because I'll have to charge the vacation. If I end up going next year, I'll be able to use my tax return to pay for the vacation, not charging it. What do you think? Is saving $1000 on airfare worth going this year?

4 comments:

Erin said...

That is a LOT of savings! Maybe you should go, then you just use your tax return to pay off your debt next year. That seems pretty logical...right?
What-ever you do, have fun - sounds like an awesome vacation!
Or you could save ALL your money and pretend you went like I do.

Sansego said...

You should go next year. It'll probably still be pretty cheap to travel and you'll be debt free! Its smart.

Tammy said...

Hard decision. I would like to say that I would say I would wait and be smart and get out of debt first but when you find a great deal it is hard not to take it. Let us know what you decide!

Jill said...

I think you should go...life is to short to worry about the money!