Sunday, September 13, 2009

It's me . . . Mandy

Several weeks ago my family and I were sitting in my parents' living room after Sunday dinner. We were all sprawled out and chatting it up. My father was laying on the floor, half asleep. I recognized this as the perfect opportunity to teach my 5 year old cousin, Zack, a lesson on teasing. As the oldest sibling of my family, I've taken it upon myself to teach Zack, the oldest sibling in his family, how to be a tease. Now usually, teasing is reserved for younger brothers, but Ronnie (my dad) was in prime position for teasing.

I took Zack by the hand and took him outside for his lesson. First, we looked around the lawn until we found the longest blade of grass. I then demonstrated that this blade of grass could be used in one of two ways: first, it could be stuck up the nose; second, it could be stuck in the ear. Both of these would yield the same result: teasing. I then explained that the blade of grass could be used when the object of teasing was asleep (like Ronnie) or being pinned down (a lesson I had taught him previously). Zack seemed well instructed so I figured it was time for some independent practice.

We walked back in the house and Zack crept up to my dad, gingerly holding the blade of grass in his hand. He quietly knelt down and proceeded to stick the blade of grass up Ronnie's nose. It didn't quite make it up his nose, just grazed it. My dad didn't open his eyes, although there was a slight smile on his face. Zack waited a few more seconds before trying again, but this time he whispered in my dad's ear, "It's me, Mandy." He then stuck the blade of grass straight up Ronnie's nose. With that, everyone, including my dad, burst into laughter. Zack then ran up to me and yelled, "I tricked him so he thinks it's you." Seriously, what a character.

2 comments:

Stephensen Celebrations said...

I love the story! It is darling.

Oakes said...

ZACK IS SO FUNNY I LAUGH OUT LOUD! THANKS FOR KEEPING ME ENTERTAINED. AUNT LU