Friday, September 11, 2009

More On-Line Shopping

So if you thought I was nervous about buying a $38 bracelet on-line (see last post), you can imagine the anxiety I feel about buying a $3000 couch on-line. So I've been looking for a sectional for my basement family room for ages now (seriously, like 18 months). I knew exactly what I wanted it to look like. I wanted a three-piece grey sectional . . . very contemporary with nice, clean lines. I had yet to find one, until I stumbled across this:


I love it!! I LOVE it so MUCH!! I have the website book marked on my laptop and I look at it like 10 times a day. So where does the anxiety come from?
  • One, do I dare buy a couch I've never sat in? What if it's uncomfortable? I have recruited a few people to go to a West Elm store and test it out for me, but is it something I really need to sit in myself?
  • Two, what if it doesn't fit down my staircase. The worst part about my house is the staircase to the basement. It is a killer to get things down the stairs. Have you ever seen the Friends episode where Ross buys a couch and tries taking it up the stairs to his apartment? That episode is no longer funny to me . . . I've lived it.




  • Three, what if it doesn't look like the picture? I love the way it looks on-line, but it could be totally different in person. What if the dimensions look different, or the color?
  • Finally, is $3000 a ridiculous price to pay for a couch? I only wanted to spend $1800. That was 18 months ago, but desperation is making $3000 sound not too bad.
Anyways, what do you think?

2 comments:

Lalis said...

Could you return it??? 'Cause if that's the case... I'd totally get it, and if it doens't work, then I'd return it.

Emily said...

I have a SIL who bought a couch without sitting on it, seeing it in real life, or any other of the real shopping things you do when buying furniture the traditional way. She fell in love with a picture of a sectional and ordered it and waited extra long for it and when it finally arrived and she sat down on it and saw it in her family room - she hated it! Not that this will happen to you, but, I'm one of those totally safe shoppers who has to look at every possibility there could be for an item and receive samples and feel and touch and measure and then compare. My only hope for high risk items, like things I'll be stuck with for a long time, is the option of return. For such a high price, that thing better be perfect AND returnable. If you can play your return card, it might be worth the gamble.