Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rome

On June 13th, I flew to Rome with 7 of the coolest girls I know. We spent two days there before continuing on with the rest of our adventure. Although I'd been to Rome before and seen all the sights, it was good to see everything again. After landing, we headed straight for the Trevi Fountain and the Spanish steps.

Some Pretty Sweet Girls:
Me, Amy, Sandra, Ali, Tanya, Amanda, Steph, & Chelsea

Me at the Trevi Fountain

Taken from the top of the Spanish Steps

Me and Rome, taken from the top of the Spanish Steps

The next day we visited the Colosseum and The Roman Forum. It was super hot and a very long day, but the standing in the midst of the ancient Roman ruins was an overpowering experience.

Me in front of the Arch of Constantine

Me & Amanda waiting to get into the Colosseum.


Inside the Colosseum

Arch of Septimius Severus located inside the Roman Forum

Me inside the Roman Forum

We also visited the Vatican. I love the Vatican. St. Peter's Basilica is so beautiful and the artwork in the museum is amazing. The first time I visited the Sistine Chapel, I was rushed in and out, but this time I found a seat along the wall, sat down and stayed for about 20 minutes. No pictures are allowed inside the chapel, but our tour guide told us that our cameras should be our eyes and heart. I loved this!! You truly have to capture these pieces of art with your heart. Because no pictures were allowed in the chapel, I don't have any, but I've included a picture of Michelangelo's Last Judgement from the internet. I know everyone always talks about Michelangelo's ceiling in the Sistine Chapel, but I've always loved his Last Judgement more.

Michelangelo's Last Judgement,
completed 30 years after the ceiling.

Inside St. Peter's Basilica

So, I had been inside St. Peter's Basilica before, but this time I learned something new. I was following our tour guide and she was discussing the Altar of Transfiguration. As I was looking up at this amazing piece of art, she said something about it being a mosaic. It looks nothing like a mosaic. My jaw dropped in shock and I turned toward her to ask if I had heard correctly. She obviously noticed my disbelief because she pointed at me and stated, "Ah, Doubting Thomas. Go closer and look." So, I did. I walked right up to it and sure enough this image is made of tiny mosaic tiles. Very, very cool!! My picture does not do it justice, but there are some great images on flicker, just google Alter of Transfiguration and you'll find them.

Altar of Transfiguration

Me in front of St. Peter's Basilica

No comments: