Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Never Trust a Person Who Doesn't Like The Smiths

Yesterday Alicia and I just bought tickets to go see Morrissey in concert. He will be here next Tuesday. I'm so excited. The first time I saw Morrissey in concert (10 years ago) I got so excited I cried, threw up in mouth, and passed out. I know it's a little bit ridiculous. I've matured a lot since then, but I still love him. He is, after all, a lyrical genius. Here are some great examples of why he is a lyrical genius.

I thought that if you had An acoustic guitar
Then it meant that you were A Protest Singer
Oh, I can smile about it now
But at the time it was terrible
- The Smiths, Shakespeare’s Sister

You claim these words as your own
But I've read well, and I've heard them said
A hundred times (maybe less, maybe more)
If you must write prose or poems
The words you use should be your own
Don't plagiarize or take "on loan"
'Cause there's always someone, somewhere
With a big nose, who knows.
- The Smiths, Cemetery Gates

Fame, Fame, fatal Fame
It can play hideous tricks on the brain
But still I'd rather be Famous
Than righteous or holy, any day
Any day, any day
- The Smiths, Frankly, Mr. Shankly

I want to live and I want to Love
I want to catch something that I might be ashamed of
- The Smiths, Frankly, Mr. Shankly

Oh, the alcoholic afternoons
When we sat in your rooms
They meant more to me
Than any, than any living thing on earth
- The Smiths, These Things Take Time

Who comes sliding down the banister?
The vicar in a tutu
He's not strange
He just wants to live his life this way
- The Smiths, Vicar in a Tutu

Boot the grime of this world in the crotch, dear
And don't go home tonight
Come out and find the one that you love and who loves you
- The Smiths, Sheila Take a Bow

And if a double-decker bus
Crashes in to us
To die by your side
Is such a heavenly way to die
And if a ten ton truck
Kills the both of us
To die by your side
Well the pleasure, the privilege is mine
- The Smiths, There is a Light that Never Goes Out

For the Good Life is out there somewhere
So stay on my arm, you little charmer
- The Smiths, Hand in Glove

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah!!!! Thanks much for getting the tickets, Mandy! I am super pumped! As I reminisce back to the last concert we rocked to, I seem to recall sustaining minor injuries trying to get closer to the stage where Sir Patrick Morrissey sang his ballads. Yes, a cracked rib or two and several bite marks later, I was closer than ever to my high school crush. So worth it.

Then I saw him again in Vegas and was with a friend who somehow weaseled his hands onto Morrissey’s water bottle after the show. The sacred acts I preformed with the little water left in that bottle are close to my heart…..and slightly creepy looking back. Eh, hindsight is 20/20. I keed I keed. (Triumph- the Insult Comic Dog- for the uninformed and unfunny)

Can’t wait!

P.S. We may want to brush up on our CPR since he is nearing his geriatric years….you know, just in case.

Mandalynn said...

You crack me up. And slightly scare me. I am also super excited!!

Sansego said...

I love the song "The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get." Of course, I first heard that song on a South African Airlines flight to Johannesburg, so part of the memory of that song includes the excitement of that trip...but it's a great song!

Have fun at the concert! Next week, I'm going to a Taylor Hicks concert, so I'm excited. Soul Patrol! Woo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

I wish a "double-decker bus" would crash into Morissey...

Mandalynn said...

I wonder who "Stephen Patrick Dumb-Crap" could possibly be.

Anonymous said...

I was only teasing, Mandy. You know I'm a closet Smith's fan.

Anonymous said...

oh, that was me...

Anonymous said...

How can you like The Smith's but not Morrissey? They are the same...