Wednesday, July 18, 2007

East Coast - July 14th

Saturday, July 14th:
On the night of the 13th, we had stayed in Syracuse, NY. We woke up on July 14th and drove through upstate NY and Massachusetts to the Boston area. We didn't actually go into Boston, but we went to Concord. I love Concord. It is a picturesque town with beautiful country homes and tons of history. Here are a few pictures:

Me at the Minute Man National Historic Park. It was here that the American Revolution began. Ralph Waldo Emerson coined it, "the shot heard round the world." To read all of Emerson's Concord Hymn, click HERE.

The Wayside, Home of the Authors. This home was owned by the Alcott family and Nathanial Hawthorne. While the Alcott's lived there it was known as Hillside. Louisa May Alcott published here first novel from this home. Her novel, Little Women, is also based on her childhood growing up in Concord. Nathanial Hawthorne bought the home from the Alcott's and gave it the name Wayside. To learn more about the Wayside, click HERE.

My mom and I in front of Ralph Waldo Emerson's home. His home was just a short walk from the Wayside. To read more about Emerson and his home, click HERE.

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery. I love cemeteries, especially old ones. This was a beautiful cemetery filled with headstones that were old and new, simple and elaborate. Below you will find the headstones of Nathanial Hawthorne, Louisa May Alcott, Henry Thoreau, and Ralph Waldo Emerson.

















2 comments:

Tammy said...

It looks like you had a great time. I wish I could take a vacation with your parents. They are two of the most amazing people ever. I love your pcitures. They make me home sick for the east coast!

Sansego said...

I agree that Concord is a great town. I consider it to be the most ideal/perfect small town in America. It is exactly how a small town should be. Even the town's public library is awesome! I wish I could afford to live there!