Saturday, October 20, 2007

MMS, Home of the Bats


So since I started teaching at my school, we've had bat problems. Every year a few bats somehow sneak into the school building where they cause a little bit of panic before being chased out by our custodians. This year is a little different. Instead of a few bats, we have a whole herd, flock, (what is a large group of bats referred to as?). And instead of being chased out of the building, they have taken up residence in our cave - and when I say cave, I mean auditorium. Because of this, our auditorium has been sealed off and we are not allowed to enter it. Additionally, no exterminators in the state of Utah will deal with bats. Where does that leave MMS? Stuck with an auditorium of bats.

Oh, if only it ended there. Last week three bats escaped from the cave and started flying around the building. Apparently this tired out one bat and he (or she - who can tell?) had to take a little break on the hallway floor. Well, one student found said bat, picked him (or her) up, and carried him (or her) to the main office. But don't worry. The student was completely safe (at least he thought) because he was wearing gloves - and when I say gloves, I mean knit mittens. SERIOUSLY!!

3 comments:

jethrojones said...

If I would have known this would happen, I would have totally stayed there. That is AWESOME!

mary said...

Bat colonies--a bunch of batty bats living together. I've spend the first quarter of the semester talking about bats in the reading classes I am teaching (part of the districts remedial program). Humans destroy bat homes and here you guys are giving them a new lease on life. Be proud you are helping bats find a home.

Tammy said...

Great timing for Halloween!!How strange that noone will deal with Bats. Poor little things. Be sure to keep us posted!