Thursday, June 18, 2009

Diary of a Wimpy Kid


Since I've been in Pennsylvania, I've finished three more books on my Summer Reading list. This post is dedicated to the hilarious novel, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, by Jeff Kinney (who was recently voted one of Time Magazine's 100 most influential people). All school year long I had seen students (mostly boys) with this book. I had wanted to read it, but just hadn't gotten around to it. As a thank you present, a student gave me a copy of the book telling me, "I LOVE this book," so I knew it had to be one of the first books I read this summer. I'm sure glad I did. It was hilarious.

The novel tells the story of Greg Heffley's first year in middle school. The book is written in a fun font that makes it look like an actual diary. It also has drawings littered throughout it. In fact, the book is advertised as "a novel in cartoons." Kinney perfectly captures life as a middle school boy as Greg deals with his annoying brothers, bullies at school, and problems with teachers, family, and friends.

I highly recommend it for anyone who has worked in a middle school, has children in a middle school, or was once themselves a child in middle school.

1 comment:

Jenn J. said...

I totally agree! The books are hilarious. I laughed until there were tears in my eyes when he talked about the "cheese touch" in book one. Good thing that boy took it with him to, California, was it? :) Hysterical.