Sunday, May 25, 2008

Macon & Andersonville, GA - May 15 & 16

On May 15th we went to Macon, GA to see some Antebellum homes. One of these homes was the Hay House. On May 16th we went to Andersonville. The Andersonville Prison was located here during the Civil War. It was a 26 acre prison that housed over 45,000 Union Soldiers. Of these 45,000 soldiers, 13,000 died from poor sanitation, disease, and malnutrition. It is now a national historic site and cemetery. It is also the location of the National Prisoner of War Museum. Here are a few pics:

Hay House

Hay House. It's huge - 7 stories!!

Speaking of huge . . .
Check out this gigantic magnolia next to Ronnie's meaty hand.

Cemetery at Andersonville Prison.

The bodies of the dead were thrown into trenches. The headstones were added after the war. It's an amazing story. To read it, click HERE.

Memorial at the National Prisoner of War Museum.

2 comments:

Sansego said...

I've been to the National Prisoner of War Museum and had my photo taken next to that statue. I should send you a copy (if I can find it).

What did you think of the Museum? I like how they attempt to put you in the experience as a POW (complete with searchlights and whatnot).

The photos were nice...but what is your overall impression of "The South"?!?

Mandalynn said...

I loved the South!! And I loved the Museum. We also went to the Civil Rights Museum in Birmingham. It was fantastic!! One of the best museums I've ever been to, including all the Smithsonian museums.