Wednesday, January 27, 2010

What? You're Listening to Me?

Two weeks ago, in my reading class, we read the Greek Myth about Theseus and the minotaur. Because I'm too lazy to recount the myth, click HERE if you want to know more about it. Then last week, I book talked The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. When I finished my book talk, a student raised his hand and stated, "Ms. George, do you know what this book [The Hunger Games] reminds me of? The myth we talked about last week about the minotaur. Remember how they had to send kids to the island every year to face the minotaur? It's kinda the same, huh?"

My thoughts: Holy Crap. You listen to me? And make connections? You have made my day.

Interestingly enough, Suzanne Collins was inspired by the myth for her novel The Hunger Games (well, at least accorrding to wikipedia).

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh, how I dream of the day that my children show signs of listening and learning!