Saturday, June 09, 2007

School's Out for Summer

I finished my last day of school on June 6th. I had been waiting for that day to come for months, but when it did, I found myself a little sad about it. That's never happened before (feeling sad about the school year ending). Although this school year started out very badly (a large part of that was not school related), it ended very well. In fact, I think this is the best school year I've ever had.

I've gotten over feeling bad about the school year ending - now I'm feeling bad about all the money I've spent in the past two days. Without a job to go to, I've been shopping. You may be asking, "What's the damage?" $700.00 - If this rate of spending keeps up, I'll have spent next year's salary before I start next year. Some of the purchases were necessary; most were not:
  • Two very expensive lunches - not necessary, but fun.
  • Jewelery - Not necessary, but very fashionable.
  • Pedicure - Again, not necessary.
  • Picture frame - Necessary. It is a gift.
  • Clothes - This one's debatable. I'm going with necessary. Necessary because I bought a new skirt a few weeks ago, but didn't have anything to go with it. Now I do.
  • Home decor - Not necessary at all; nevertheless, it's mine now.
  • Plane ticket to Newark - Now, many of you may be saying, "Mandy, don't you already have a plane ticket to Newark this summer?" The answer is yes. I bought another one. I now fly into Newark on July 11th, back to Salt Lake on July 16th, back to Newark on July 24th, and finally, back to Salt Lake on August 8th. It is crazy, but it will be fun.
  • Oil change - Very necessary; I was pretty much driving with no oil.

Have vowed to go on spending fast. Please ask me about it from time to time to ensure that I am keeping spending to a minimum.

4 comments:

jethrojones said...

There must be something associated with summer and wanting to spend money. Since school has been out, I have been VERY tempted to buy a new TV, digital camera, video games, and a new computer!!! Luckily, my frugal wife keeps my head on straight. Thanks for your comments on my blog, by the way.

Tammy said...

What are you doing in Newark? It sounds like you are off to a fun and exciting summer!I think that your home decor is a necessary that is what helps your home feel homey right!?

Mandalynn said...

What am I doing in Newark? NOTHING, but it is one of the cheapest airports back east to fly into. The first time I'm going with my parents - we're going to Niagra Falls, the Palmyra Pageant, and Connecticut/Rhode Island. Luckily, my parents are super cool so it will be fun. The second time I've had planned for a long time. I'm flying to meet my old roommate Ruth. We're going to NYC, then to her house in Pennsylvania.

Ruth said...

Awesome! No one can spend enough time in Newark. It is the murder capital of the northeast! At least that's what Ross says on Friends. I can't wait to see you!!!