Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Elie Wiesel

As I mentioned in my last post, during the Christmas break I read the book, Night. It tells the true story of Elie Wiesel. In this memoir, Wiesel relates his experiences during WWII. During the war, he and his family were deported to concentration camps. Both of his parents and a younger sister were killed there, but he survived. He went on to become a professor and the author of over 40 books. He was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1986. I was moved by his memoir, but not as much as I was by reading his speech upon receiving the Nobel Peace Prize. Take a moment to read this speech by clicking HERE.

3 comments:

T.J. said...

Wow. Very moving.

Ruth said...

He is such an amazing man and every time I read any of his words I am moved to want to do more. I taught this book for several years and at one point my students wrote him letters. He actually wrote us back and shared with us many of these same ideas. It was great. What an example to us all.

Camie said...

I am always amazed at how humble he is.