Monday, February 18, 2008

More Politics - Mitt Romney

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've been reading Jim Wallis's book The Great Awakening: Reviving Faith and Politics in a Post-Religious Right America. On page 40, Wallis quotes Pastor Rich Nathan of the Vineyard Church of Columbus who said, "There are lots of us evangelicals who have found ourselves increasingly uncomfortable with the media's selection of a few people of decidedly conservative politics who are regularly called our spokespeople. Whenever I hear this handful of people talk, I think: This person doesn't speak for me."

That's exactly how I feel about Mitt Romney. Because Romney and I have the same religious beliefs (we both belong to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints), people assume that we have the same political beliefs. When I've mentioned that I dislike Romney and would never vote for him, people have responded, "But you're a Mormon too, right?" Yes. Yes I am, but I dislike Romney immensely. Here's just one of the many reasons why:

When asked about detaining terrorism suspects, Mitt Romney stated, "I want them in Guantanamo where they don't have the access to lawyers they get when they're on our soil." He went on to say, "Some people have said we should close Guantanamo. I think we should double Guantanamo."

The moment I heard this statement was the moment I began disliking Mitt Romney. What does this statement even mean? It sounds like nationalistic, I'm-better-than-you rhetoric that's only purpose is to gain the support of right-wing nuts. In 2007 FBI documents reported that Guantanamo detainees were chained hand and foot in a fetal position to the floor for 18 hours or more, urinating and defecating on themselves and subjected to extreme temperature with temperatures close to freezing. Who does things like that? Americans? That's not the America I want to live in, nor do I want an American leader who wants to "double" a place that uses those type of tactics. I don't care what the cost.

Some may argue that those tactics are necessary to prevent terrorism. Really? Those are the tactics used by terrorists!! What does that say about America? It reminds me of Benjamin Franklin's quote, "Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both."

This is just one of the reasons I would not vote for Romney. There are many others. Our political beliefs are pretty much opposites.

2 comments:

Lesli Joe said...

I am glad that you posted this. I am shocked that Mitt Romney actually said this - and I am a little ashamed that we are members of the same religion. What is that primary song? "Love One Another as I have Loved You." I doubt that Jesus would even subject Cain to those conditions. I also really liked that Benjamin Franklin quote and am writing it down!

Sansego said...

I still think Romney was only playing to the base. It proves to me that the Republican party is full of rabid, irrational, hateful, war-mongering, angry white men. A true statesman and spiritual leader would inspire people to rise above their bigotry, hatreds, fear, and bloodlust, but Romney didn't do that. His campaign was a severe disappointment. The reasonable Governor of Massachusetts was missing in this campaign. I don't know what he was thinking, but he deserved to be defeated for flip flopping as much as he did.