Thursday, February 22, 2007

Lettuce for Lent

I have always been fascinated by religious acts and traditions that show devotion. Some of these include Islam's hajj (to learn more, click HERE) and Judaism's kashrut (to learn more, click HERE). Christianity's Lent is no different. (To learn more about Lent, click HERE). Although the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (the religion I belong to - to learn more, click HERE) doesn't observe Lent as a church-wide custom, I decided this year I would participate. Although I considered only giving up lettuce (as my roommate, Alina, annually does), I have decided to give up the following things:
  • Cookies
  • Cake
  • Ice Cream
  • Candy
  • Doughnuts
  • (Yeah, basically all sugary things)
I'm on day 2. Yesterday was difficult because I went to a bakery with friends for dinner. This bakery serves delicious cheesecake and eclairs. I get an eclair every time I go there, but yesterday I abstained. Wish me luck. I will keep all my loyal readers updated.

4 comments:

AJ said...

Best of luck! I feel the best when I go without sugar. Give it a few more days and I think you'll be surprised how much better you'll feel, too. Make sure to report back- I am interested.

Camie said...

This is the first time in 4 years that I'm not giving up something for lent. This year I'm just going to keep trying to be a better person for the next 40 days. Last year I gave up french fries and ended up eating two hamburgers to compensate one night at my favorite burger place.....not helpful.

Sansego said...

I've never done the lent thing. I thought about giving up music for lent, but not seriously. I know that the purpose is to give up something you think you can't live without, and it supposedly does wonders for your soul. I did give up music for an entire week in 1999 in preparation for my Patriarchal Blessing, and that was TOUGH! Don't think I could last 40 days without music.

Mandy, you're lucky I'm not there to play tempter, as I show all the sweets to your face to see if you'll break! Yeah, I can be be bad like that, unfortunately.

Nicholas

Mandalynn said...

I totally am at the breaking point. See my next post.