Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Advent Blog - December 1st

I've been a bit of a blog slacker so I've decided to do an Advent Blog to count down the days before Christmas. Similar to an Advent Calendar, I'll make a post everyday up until Christmas. All of my Advent posts will focus on Christmas.

My first post is dedicated to a tradition my parents started about 15ish years ago - The Christmas Puzzle. My parents decided our family would put together a Christmas themed puzzle every year. Once it was finished, my mom had it framed and everyone who had worked on the puzzle was able to sign the back of the frame. The puzzles were then hung in the house during the Christmas season. Because my parents started this tradition about 15 years ago, you'll find about 15 Christmas puzzles displayed throughout their house every Christmas Season.

When I bought my own house, my parents let me choose one of the puzzles we had done growing up to display in my own house. They've also let my brothers choose a puzzle for their own homes. I love this tradition and decided to start it at my own house last year. Everyone who visits during the month of December is welcome to add a few pieces to my puzzle and sign the frame, thus becoming a permanent part of my Christmas every year. Here are a few pics:

The puzzle my parents gave me.
My family did this puzzle in 1999.

Some signatures from the back of the puzzle.

Me and Tom working on my puzzle from last year.

The puzzle from last year, framed for this year.

This year's puzzle.
Come on over and add a few pieces.

4 comments:

Erin said...

That is an awesome Christmas tradition - I love it! Could you add a piece for me? I would love to be a part of your puzzle!

Camie said...

I'll be right over. Seriously. I'll be in town on the 18th. Do you think it will be finished by then?

Sansego said...

Interesting tradition...but as the years roll by, that's going to be A LOT of framed puzzles to store and display during the holidays.

Your tradition makes me want to visit you some December, just so I can add a few pieces to the puzzle and sign the back of your frame!

Mandalynn said...

Well, my parent's house is big enough to fit a dozen or so puzzles. Mine, not so much. Camie, I will definitely save a few pieces for you. Nicholas, you are always welcome, regardless of the time of year.