Thursday, December 10, 2009

Advent Blog - December 10th

A few days ago I wrote about service projects my students and young women were doing for the homeless (to read it click HERE). Today is a follow up on that post. Last night my young women went to the Road Home's overflow shelter in Midvale to deliver the hats that they made (they ended up making 160 hats!!). I knew some of my students lived at the shelter so I had mentally prepared myself to see some of them there. I did and it was fine . . . at least it was until I got home. It was when I walked into my own home that it hit me - how different my home was from the shelter. The shelter was crowded, chaotic, and a little dirty. When I walked into my house it was warm, clean, and smelled good. It's spacious - way spacious for just one person. The families at the shelter had their bed and all of their possessions crowded into one tiny space - a space as big as my closet. Now I can't get my little students out of my mind. I pray that I may be able to help them - even if it's just being a good teacher and helping them for 45 minutes a day.

No comments: