Monday, April 28, 2008

Help Me Spend Money

So I've been wanting a beach cruiser for a long time and I've finally decided to get one. Now, I know little about bikes and I'm having a hard time deciding which one to get . . . so, help me make a decision. Keep in mind - I won't be riding it all over town. I just want to ride it to go to the pool, the library, and the grocery store - all within a mile of my house. I've narrowed it down between the following two bikes:

  • Cost: $99.00 (plus shipping and handling)
  • Info: The ad says it's made of aluminum, but one of the reviews said only part of it was aluminum. It didn't say how many gears it had, but I think it only has one (which is common with beach cruisers).
  • Reviews: It only had 4 on-line reviews. One was extremely favorable, one was okay, but two said it was cheaply made.
  • My concerns:
    • Shipping
    • It may not be all aluminum. It may be just as heavy as the steel frame and susceptible to rust.
  • Pros:
    • It's beautiful!!
  • Cost: $119.00 (no shipping and handling - at local stores)
  • Info: Steel frame with 7 speeds.
  • Reviews: It had 34 reviews and most of them were very favorable. Some said it was the most comfortable bike they'd ever ridden, but some said it was so uncomfortable they returned it.
  • My concerns:
    • I'm nervous that it has a steel frame - I'm afraid it may rust; I'm also afraid it may be really heavy.
    • It has a large spring on the front. I wanted to put a basket on the front, but this may not be an option with the large spring.
  • Pros
    • It's at a local store so I can go pick it up and not have to wait for shipping (or pay for shipping).
    • Again, it's beautiful - check out the pink and white seat.

4 comments:

jethrojones said...

If you dry it when it gets wet, and keep it clean it won't rust. The best way to keep a bike in good condition is to ride it. Traditionally, cruisers do only have one speed--you are right.
Oh, that reminds me. Did you hear anything about "The Engaged Classroom " that the district is doing? Ask Paula about it, and if she doesn't know anything about it, let me know. You would love to participate.

Mandalynn said...

Jethro,
You still didn't give a final opinion. Bike number one or two. I'll be honest, I've never been really good at switching gears on a bike so the one-speed is kind of alluring. Plus, it has a back pedal brake - so old school. I like it.

I've never heard of "The Engaged Classroom." I will ask Paula, but send me the details.

jethrojones said...

Sorry, I didn't answer. I like the first one. You want a light bike because it is easier to ride, especially uphill. I like the top bike, the aluminum one, bike number 1, although the waiting for shipping is a major drag. You could probably find one locally, though. I sent the info to your Gmail address.

Tammy said...

I may not know much about bikes...but my vote is for the first one. I can't wait to see pictures of you on your new mode of transportation!