Saturday, April 05, 2008

New Books

So when I accepted the reading position for next year, I asked my principal if there was money to order new classroom novels. She replied, "Oh, yea. There's tons of money. Talk to Roberto." (Roberto is one of our assistant principals). So I started looking through some catalogs and deciding on what novels I'd like to teach next year.

I asked an English teacher at my school what novels she taught this year and she immediately started complaining that there were no good novels to teach at our school. I told her I was going to order some new novels through Roberto. She replied, "Oh good. Let me know what you order." I was thinking, "Why? I'm ordering them so I can teach them. That means you can't teach them in your class!!" I then thought, "Instead of complaining that our school has no good novels to teach, get off your lazy ass and order some." Each teacher at my school has received an email each week for the past 6 weeks about getting your book requisitions submitted. Why hadn't she looked into ordering anything?

I went into Roberto's office and asked him about book requisitions - I was trying to see how much I could spend. After trying in a round-about way to figure how much money I could have, he told me, "You're the only teacher who has approached me about new books for next year. We have tons of money. Whatever you want, I'll order." I thought two things: 1) YES!!! and 2) I was shocked that no one had approached him. If the language arts department is so upset about the lack of quality books, why wouldn't they request new ones? I work with a bunch of morons.

Anyway, I spent $1600 and ordered classroom sets of the following novels:

5 comments:

jethrojones said...

Crikey! I am glad I got out of there, I would hate to be a moron! My students love Lightning thief, and we are supposedly reading Stargirl as a whole school next year. I have never heard of the other two, though. So, who left? Molly or Lisa?

Sansego said...

You are so funny!

This is an awesome post. It's always great to get the inside scoop about what teachers go through to educate their students.

I agree that the reading program needs to be updated. In school, we had to read classics like "The Grapes of Wrath", "the Old Man and the Sea", and others that didn't excite me at the time. I wish that they would mix it up a little and pick selections that would get students actually interested in reading on their own. Perhaps assign "the classics" as extra credit assignments, but have some contemporary literature that gets students excited about reading.

All I can add is "you go girl!"

Ruth said...

Being the devil's advocate here: Will you be teaching all the books all the time or could she perhaps use them when you are working with another book? Tell her to put in an order for any books you vetoed but would like to have and then you guys could work together.

What grade level will you be teaching again? I may have some ideas...

Mandalynn said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mandalynn said...

For all you curious people: The above deleted comment was from me - it had too many misspellings. Must read work before publishing!!

Jethro: You would not be included in the "moron" category - Marita would. I love all four books - that's why I ordered them. I have taught Stargirl and A Long Way from Chicago before, but not the other two. Both Molly and Lisa are gone. Molly moved back to Wisconsin during the summer and we got an awesome new reading teacher. Lisa had a baby last month and is taking a leave of absence for next year.

Nicholas: I obviously agree. I pretty much only teach contemporary young adult lit.

Ruth: You're always playing devil's advocate. The problem is I will be teaching 7th grade reading and she will be teaching 7th grade English so we will have the same students. That's why we couldn't share. I doubt I'll teach all four books in one year - I usually only teach 2, but I still don't want to share. She's a horrible teacher and would just make the students hate these books that are really good.