Friday, April 04, 2008

Not-so-Impulsive Impulse Buy

This story begins with the laptop vs. Home Equity Line of Credit.

So, last month I received my tax return ($3000). I had planned to put all of my tax return on my Home Equity Line of Credit. I hate it and want it paid off so bad!! The interest rate on it is something like 11% - I paid over $10,000 last year in interest!! I still owed $8000 (But down from $24,000 - Yea!!), but if I put all $3000 it would knock it down to $5000. It sounded like a good idea, but I really wanted a laptop.

Both of my roommates have really nice laptops and I have a piece of **** I bought in 2000 that can't do anything. I am a jealous being and I was definitely jealous over the laptops. So you see my dilemma - laptop vs. the HELOC.

Well, those of you who know me, know that I'm careful with money and know I hate, HATE paying interest (I paid cash for my undergraduate and graduate degrees, have only failed to pay off my credit card balance 3 months in 12+ years, and paid off my car loan in less than 2 years). So, obviously I put the $3000 on my Home Equity Line of Credit. Bye, bye laptop.

So this month I started paying my bills and when I got finished I still had $1600 in the bank. I had received a small bonus from work, but not that big so I thought I must have made a mistake. I went through everything again, and no mistake - I still had $1600. It was a MIRACLE!! A laptop MIRACLE. I briefly thought about putting the extra $1600 on my HELOC, but decided to go with the laptop so yesterday I took Lesli with me (she came as my advisor) and I bought a new MacBook. I love it!!

4 comments:

Camie said...

It's beautiful. Congratulations!!!

jethrojones said...

Congrats, Mandy. I love the Macbook I have for work. We put all of our tax refund into our car, and when it is paid off, Staci said I could get an iMac. I can't wait!

Tammy said...

Congrats. I know you will enjoy your new investment.

Anna said...

Way to go on the mac! We switched over about a year ago and will never, ever go back! A desk top for me and a MacBook for Brian. They are the greatest!