Wednesday, April 02, 2008

My New Job

So I have a new job - and when I say "have" I mean "will have next year." For the past 8 years I've been teaching in the special education department at my school. I teach resource reading for 7th, 8th, & 9th graders, resource language arts for 9th graders, and a resource study skills class. I work with students who have learning disabilities, communication disorders, and emotional disturbances - a pretty diverse group. I love the teaching part, but the paperwork part has been dragging me down lately.

Although I've always taught in the special education department, I am qualified and licensed to teach regular education classes. So, when a reading teacher announced she was leaving the school and no one in the language arts department was qualified to take over for her (they all have English endorsements, not reading endorsements), my principal approached me and asked if I was interested. I told her I was, but I wanted to think about it. The more I thought about it, the more I decided I'm ready for a little change. I will still be at my same school, but I will not have to deal with all the paperwork and meetings that fall under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act. I will no longer have to administer IQ or achievement tests, write Individual Education Plans, write Behavior Intervention Plans, or conduct extra meetings. I will be able to teach - just teach!!

After thinking of all the things I wouldn't have to do, how could I say no? So of course, I accepted. Needless to say, the special education department at the district is not very happy. In fact, when my principal told the district director, the director responded, "Convince her not to [take the position]." However, I am convinced and determined. It also makes me excited for next year. I know, crazy, but I'm already looking forward to starting a new school year. So next year I will just be teaching regular education reading to 7th graders. That's it reading 7. I don't know what I will do with all my spare time.

1 comment:

jethrojones said...

Mandy, that is great! I am excited for you. I will graduate next year also, and I don't know what I will do with all my extra time, either. I can't WAIT!!!